The Central Free Dispensary was incorporated in 1873 by combining the Herrick Dispensary, serving the southern section of the west side of Chicago, and the Brainard Free Dispensary, serving the north section of the west side. The union of the dispensaries was funded as a loan to Rush Medical College to help with the cost of building a new college after the Great Fire of 1871. The Central Free Dispensary gave the sick poor of Chicago access to medical care and provided the College with patients for its medical education program. The Dispensary became the outpatient service for Presbyterian Hospital in the 1940s and became the Presbyterian-St. Luke’s Health Center in 1961. In 1969, the dormant medical school Rush Medical College was re-established and merged with Prebyterian-St. Luke’s Hospital to form Rush-Presbyterian St. Luke’s Medical Center, which changed its name to Rush University Medical Center in 2003. Period covered by reports is irregular. 4th/6th report includes report of work done by Herrick Dispensary, from Dec. 5, 1871-June 1, 1873. With the First annual report of Charity Dispensary of Chicago (1869).